Li Ying's Reflection
It was during one of the English Oral Practices where I encountered my first ‘difficult’ student. From the start, I can tell that she wasn’t interested to be there at all. When I asked her to read the last paragraph, she retorted with, “I don’t want to. I want to read the first.” Perhaps she sensed that since I wasn’t a full-time teacher in school, I don’t have that much authority to command her so I relented and let her read the first paragraph. After which, she proceed on to lying on the table, resting her eye. It was trying for me. What I took away from that experience was an endless questioning of my ability at classroom management. If I can’t even handle one, how can I handle 40?
The next test of my classroom management ability came almost immediately. Kai Ying and I had to relief in 2 Achieve. As it was a last minute thing for me, I was at a total lost. But it is also through this experience that I learnt classroom management skills from my fellow attachment mate. I must say Kai Ying really has a thing or two in controlling the students, capturing their attention – something I can definitely learn and apply the next time I step into a class.
After attending one of the CCD lessons, Mr. Tyrus Chua asked for our reflections. I find his style of imparting skills very effective because it isn’t a matter of spoon-speeding but placing the person into the shoes of another, allowing the person to reflect, to think, and to contribute. Through observing his lesson, I managed to learn more about classroom management and how to react when things don’t go according to plan.
This week’s experience made me question about teaching – whether I am suited for it, how I can better manage and relate to the students and, at the same time, impart knowledge. After questioning myself, I find that there are two responses that I can have. One is to learn from my failure, and the second is to dwell in my failure. I've learnt to look on the bright side, taking every failure in my stride, and of course, learning to be a better teacher who doesn't just teach but mentor as well.
Week 2 Itinerary
13th July 2009(Monday)
1) A short discussion with Mrs. Raj on the NE Project.
2) A short sharing session with Mr. Chan.
3) English Oral Practice with the graduating class.
14th July 2009(Tuesday)
1)Contact Time.
2) Lesson Observation: Mr. Tyrus Chua’s class - 2 Achieve.
3) Induction by Mrs. Karen Tan and a short dialogue session with the students from Step-Up.
4) NE Project.
5) English Oral Practice with the graduating class.
15th July 2009(Wednesday)
1) NE Project.
2) Lesson Observation with Mrs. Raj’s class: 1 Respect (Getting the gist)
3) Meeting the NE ambassadors.
4) English Oral Practice with the graduating class.
16th July 2009(Thursday)
1) Lesson observation: Mr. Edward’s class – 3 Achieve.
2) Lesson observation: Mrs. Raj – 1 Respect.
3) Relief class: 2 Achieve with Kai Ying
4) English Oral Practice with the graduating class.
17th July 2009(Friday)
1) Lesson observation: Miss Maslinda’s class – 1 Integrity.
2) CCD: 2 Thinking.
3) English Oral Practice with the graduating class.
No comments:
Post a Comment