Monday, July 13, 2009

reflection #1

The first week of attachment at Evergreen Secondary School went by in a flash. I must say, stepping up to a teacher’s standpoint really does require a paradigm shift - old mindset has to be broken. The transition from a student to a teacher, for me, was quite a challenge. However, as I began to attend various inductions conducted by the different HODs, the reason behind implementation of certain code of conduct/rule became clearer to me. The inductions also helped in widening my perspectives on teaching.

Besides attending inductions, I also had the opportunity to observe Mrs. Raj’s class. I remember the first lesson I attended was a 2-period lesson in the afternoon with Secondary 1 Express class. I noticed that a teacher does not only have the challenge of engaging the students in class, she also has to fight against the drop in the students’ energy level. The afternoon heat made the situation worse but I could see that most of the students were still very attentive.

The one thing that stood out to me was the way she managed to draw the students’ attention. The one activity that struck me was the little sharing session she had with the students. The students were asked to recall their first trip with their friends and, to lead by example, she shared with the class her own experience. She then began to call out various students to share about their own experience. After that short sharing session, she revealed the essay assignment, which was basically a narrative about their first trip with their friends. In her words, she said that in sharing personal experiences with the class, you will begin to form a closer relationship with them. I find that activity refreshing because I never had a teacher who is willing to break through that invisible wall between a teacher and her students. In doing so, she managed to reach out to the students as well as to tap on their own imagination in creating stories as she began to ask them to build on their own experiences.

Of course, I also understand that on many levels, semblance of professionalism has to be maintained and I think that is what Mrs. Raj has achieved. I am looking forward to more lesson observations in both English Language and English Literature classes, and hopefully, a chance for some teaching experience.


Li Ying

No comments:

Post a Comment